Retailers have to contend with a wide variety of issues where the law can affect the way that they do business. Some issues may be more important than others, however a failure to ensure that commercial agreements/contracts accurately reflect the commercial agreement between the parties and are binding could have serious consequences.
We usually advise retailers on the following areas:-
- Standard Terms and Conditions
- Advertising and media relations
- Supply contracts and outsourcing
- Competition Law
- Customer Agreements
- Vouchers, promotions and incentives
- Data Protection
- Exhibition/Trade Show Terms and Conditions.
Examples of our service:-
- We have recently advised a new retailer on setting up their business and handled the legal side of all that entails including drafting their terms and conditions, reviewing their sales materials and acting for them in relation to all their site acquisitions
- We continue to advise a large multi site retailer on all their legal requirements from property issues, through to employment and contractual issues.
The retail sector is also about maintaining service levels which depends upon having the appropriate staff with the correct training. We can provide immediate advice in addition to handling ongoing procedures and preparing company handbooks.
Work we have undertaken for our retail clients includes the following:-
- Employment Contracts
- Employment Handbook
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Data Protection and workplace monitoring
- Discrimination issues
- Dismissals and redundancies
- Employment Tribunal claims
- Flexible working and parental rights.
Recent examples of our service includes:-
- Advising on the reorganisation of the terms and conditions of a high street retailer
- Advising a manufacturing/retailer on their redundancy programme
- Producing a company handbook for a luxury goods company
- Updating employment contracts of a start-up high growth retailer.
Many retailers will also have an on-line presence and we have experience of advising on client’s website, online website trading terms and conditions and IT agreements relating to the development of our client’s websites.
We advise on-line retailers on the following contracts:-
- Website Terms and Conditions
- Software, maintenance and licence agreements
- Hardware supply and maintenance agreements
- Website design and branding
- Trademark protection
- Data Protection Issues.
Examples of our services are:-
- Advising a retailer on its supplier portal terms and conditions
- Advising a retailer on the purchase of software from a software developer
- Drafting a suite of documents for a new on-line retailer
- Drafting a distribution agreement for the import of goods for an on-line retailer.
- Acting for an online-software house on the licensing and sale of its software.